Client: Grainger PLC
Overseeing Surveyor: Harris Associates
Project: External Mansion Block Major Works
The Site: A listed residential block of flats in central Hove
- A listed building with works closely controlled by the Conservation Architect.
- A leaking slate roof.
- A corroded and unstable disused fire escape to the rear.
- A crumbling bungaroosh party wall with large pieces of flint falling onto neighboring properties.
- Cracked and water damaged entrance path.
WHY WAS IT A SUCCESS?
- We made sure the project was undertaken in a safe and organised manner where it was key to liaise very carefully with all residents and managing agent.
- At the end of the project the building was fully refurbished in line with the local authorities listed building guidelines.
- We solved the issue of water leaks which had been persistent for a number of years by repairing the slate roof and central valley gutter as well as resolving the issues with the rainwater disposal and masonry.
- The building was fully refurbished in order to safeguard the fabric of the building for the next 10 years.
- The unsafe fire escape was removed creating more light to the flats at the rear of the property.
- The falling masonry from the party wall was repaired and made safe.
- We renovated the black and white Victorian tiling at the front of the property in line with local authority guidelines, eventually securing agreement from the Local Authority.
WHAT WAS SAID?
“Under our Contract Administration, A S Ramsay undertook extensive repairs to Bunswick Square. They were, as always, thoroughly accommodating throughout and completed a project which required careful planning to a very high standard. I would recommend them and intend to put them forward for similar work in the future.”
Matthew Aldridge MRICS